The FOUND Assistant Partnerships Coordinator duties include:
- Assisting the Partnerships and Grant Coordinator (Lindsay):
- Seeks out new partnership opportunities with farms and farm markets
- Foster existing relationships with farmers and farm markets
- Work with farmers to schedule harvest events
- Work with the FOUND events team to find volunteers to help with the harvest
- Attending Monthly Core Member meetings and assisting with other tasks/events when possible (if located in the valley, transportation to these meetings is available)
- Meet with Lindsay on a regular basis (bi-weekly if possible)
Desired skills and experience:
- Located in or near the Valley (Windsor, Wolfville, Canning, etc.) considered an asset
- Passionate about food issues, reducing food waste, and sustainability
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Enthusiasm and outgoing personality to apply to networking with farmers’ markets, farmers, and local business owners
- Flexible availability considered an asset
- Access to a vehicle would be helpful but is not required
This volunteer position is approximately 5 hours / week. FOUND strongly believes in skill-building, and our goal with volunteers is to provide an environment in which existing skills are utilized and valued but also where new skills can be developed.
FOUND strives to reduce food waste by gathering and sharing forgotten fruits and vegetables in Nova Scotia. We source our food from local producers, farmers’ markets, and even the trees around us that otherwise wouldn’t end up on our plates.
All too often, foods that are considered ‘imperfect’ are left in the field to rot, and ripe produce at farmers’ markets is thrown away due to short shelf life. To help address this problem, FOUND collects this forgotten food and donates a part of each fresh harvest to local food banks and shelters, with the remaining being offered wholesale to local cafes and restaurants. Food that isn’t distributed immediately is transformed by FOUND into shelf-stable preserves and other goods that are sold at local markets and shops.
During our first year, FOUND harvested 3,242 pounds of fresh, local produce that would have otherwise been wasted, and instead shared that food with various community groups throughout Halifax.
FOUND is hoping to find an enthusiastic volunteer to help with building and fostering relationships with local farmers and farmers’ markets.
Please send a brief expression of interest and resume to:
Applications will be accepted immediately and the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.